Monday, January 24, 2011

re-purposing

I have been working on my photography skills since I got my Canon G10 last February. It has really taken me this long to understand my camera, shoot in manual mode and start to be able to understand picture composition and such; and trust I am learning more every time I snap a photo.

I recently invested in a Groupon for a Photography class at the end of January. I am really excited about it, you bring your own camera, they show you how to shoot portraits, nature shots, picture composition and all the like. I am really looking forward to being able to understand my camera and how she works even more...


Channy B gave me this sweet ass Venus Fly Trap for my birthday last year and it has grown like a darn weed since! Pretty sure that's due to me catching little bastard flies around the house, and then setting them ever so gently in their trappings, oh that and distilled water. I really don't understand the distilled water part, but I suppose they are so picky due to the environment they are use to.. who knows?





growing.. growing... growing....



I went to the garden center to get stuff to re-pot it or at least make it new terrarium and the man I spoke to happened to be a venus trap junkie (coincidence, I think not?!) and said to never ever change its habitat in the winter. These little buggers go totally dormant loose a lot if not all their traps and branches in the winter. Interesting, because I haven't noticed a major shift in the amount of trimming I am doing. Things may change next year though, so I will just have to compare then.

So I kept it in its original container and just put it in this new glass jar I found that will eventually be its home in the spring.


I found this super sweet container for it at one of my favorite rummaging places, Snowline Hospice, I think it was all of 1 bone. Hospice a great little place close to my house that I can walk to and keep an eye out for great glasswear. The container came with a great airtight lid, but this sweet baby needs its air and supply of unsuspecting bugs... 
Just goes to show how fantastical re-purposing can be if you keep an eye out.. one day I hope a majority of my homey things are re-purposed and have some type of memory or significance to me. But hey, you gotta start somewhere. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment