Wednesday, August 11, 2010

first harvest!

OMG, omg, omg you guys! I had my first harvest last week! ok, so it was only 2-3 cherry tomatoes and a plate full of lettuce, but shoot, a harvest is a harvest, no matter how small! 
the tomatoes are struggling, as I have said before, but they are actually starting to come along and turn red now. Not sure if this is a combination of me backing off on all the attention i am giving them or if it is the weather has turned a bit more humid... therefore creating a warmer environment them...
my plate of lettuce! I am really excited about this, I always buy a head of lettuce at the produce market, and pretty much always end up throwing some away due to soggy moldy grossness... now I am not wasting and I know exactly where it comes from, no pesticides, no weirdshit added, its all my growing and love. kinda awesome. cant wait til my lemon cucumber gives me some goodness to add to the party.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I also heard you can wrap the tomato pot in a black plastic (aka garbage bag) to help warm up the soil...to help ripen the tomatoes. Weather is supposed to be nicer this week so hopefully that helps out with the tomatoes.

    BTW - with the lettuce, I learned in my book that you can cut them off entirely, leave about 1" stub and it will grow back!

    ReplyDelete